Articles and Videos on Paddling Safety
HCKC Don't Croak on the River Literature
- Seven Safety Tip for Hoosier Paddlers, An article written by Jordan Ross in 2010 for the HCC Safety Outreach Committee emphasizing 7 things that you can do to be safer on the water.
- Wear your Life Jacket - According to recent U.S. Coast Guard statistics, drowning was the reported cause of death in three-fourths of all boating fatalities in 2015. Of those, 85 percent were reported as not wearing their life jackets. Wearing your life jacket is cheap insurance.
- Cold Weather Paddling
Hypothermia Boot Camp - A discussion of Hypothermia symptoms
Paddling in the Cold Months, Article by Garry Hill on on precautions to take while paddling flatwater in cold weather from Feb. 2008 newsletter.
Cold Water Paddling, Article by Jim Sprandel on the risks of cold water paddling and how to prepare for them from the February 2011 newsletter.
- Low-Head Dams
WFYI Video on Low-Head Dams - Over, Under, Gone: The Killer in Our Rivers, 30-minute video on Low-Head Dam deaths in Indiana
Dam Dangerous, Indiana DNR Article on the Danger of Low-Head Dames
Brigham Young University Video - Fatal Currents - Low Head Dam Presentation, Technical presentation on the danger of low-head dams and design approaches to mitigate their danger when replacing dams.
Low Head Dam Safety - Explains the danger of low-head dams and how to avoid them. By ACA and Illinois Paddlers Council
- Lightning Safety - Remember the 30-30 Rule. If the time from when you see the lightning flash to when you hear it is less than 30 seconds, immediately get off the water and seek shelter. Do not venture out again until 30 minutes after the last thunder you hear.
- http://www.topkayaker.net/index.html This is a sit-on-top kayak site but has an excellent series of safety articles
- Canoe and Kayak Safety Series - A series of safety topics for new paddlers.
- Paddling.com - A series of articles for news and experienced paddlers featuring articles by industry experts. Covers equipment, navigation and safety, camping, and boat maintenance/storage
- Medium-Resolution Poster JPG (956x800 Pixels)
- High-Resolution Poster PDF (8.1 Mb)
ACA Safety/Paddling Brochures and Posters
- Beginner's Guide Safer Paddling - ACA Brochure for Safety Brochures for new Paddlers, 10 page brochure produced in 2017.
- Paddling 101 - "A Newcomer's Guide to Safe Canoeing and Kayaking", ACA, 8 pages.
- Beginner's Guide - The Basics of Paddlesport - Tips on getting started, choosing the right boat, safety 101, strokes you need to know, how to camp, resources, schools and more! (17 pages), ACA
- Wear it! Life Jackets matter - On the importance of wearing life jackets, ACA .
- ACA Resources Page - A web page listing ACA posters, brochures.