HCKC Paddling Policies
- LIfeJacket Usage - All participants in HCKC-sponsored paddling and training events shall wear appropriate, properly-fitting US Coast Guard Approved lifejackets (Personal Flotation Devices, or PFDs) at all times during on-water activities except pool sessions where a certified lifeguard is present.
Trip leaders/sponsors and fleet chairs are responsible for enforcing this requirement. If they do not, they will not be allowed to lead trips sponsored by the club.
- Stay with the Group - All paddlers on an HCKC-sponsored trip must paddle with the group unless the paddler asks the Trip Leader to leave the group and their departure is agreed to by the Trip Leader.
- Waiver - Trip sponsors will have all participants for HCKC-sponsored paddling events sign the HCKC Trip Waiver. After the event, Trip Sponsors will send copies of completed waivers to the HCKC Yeoman (Secretary)
- Discipline-Specific Paddling Rules - The HCKC sponsors trips associated with the Whitewater, the Flatwater, and the Sea Kayak discipline. Since the safety considerations associated with each disciplne differ, the club chairman (chairmen) for each discipline may define supplementary paddling rules exceeding HCKC Paddling Policies to be observed for all participants of paddling events sponsored by this discipline. These supplementatry rules must be published on the HCKC web site and should be referenced in the Trip Announcements for the discipline's events.
- Sea/Touring Kayak Paddling Requirements
- Event Specific Paddling Rules - The Trip Sponsor and the Trip Leader for a given HCKC-sponsored paddling event may specify supplementary paddling rules exceeding HCKC paddling Polcies and discipline-specific paddling rules sthat must be observed by all participants for their event. The Trip Sponsor and Trip Leader may specify any supplementary rules in either the event's Trip Announcment, in pre-event e-mails, or in the shoreline meeting before launching.